Voluntary Accessibility Upgrades - Hotel
We were contracted as an ADA Design Build Contractor to remove all the ADA barriers identified by the CASp report on the exterior of this hotel. The project was complex in that all the work was on top of an existing 30-year-old concrete podium parking structure that was waterproof.
1. We were unable to use equipment to remove the 6” to 10” of existing non-compliant concrete and waterproofing, all the work was completed with a jackhammer and removed with wheel barrels.
2. All the concrete needed to be near flush at the accessible route doors, the issue was that there were sliding room doors near those accessible doors. So to be compliant with basically 2% maximum slope anywhere and provide adequate drainage with the existing locations of the drainage inlets became a challenge we overcame with our design team that included the site construction team also.
3. Part of our design criteria from the owner was to match the existing multiple colored pavers and concrete design with colored concrete during winter site conditions.
4. We also removed and replaced all of the existing waterproofing system during the winter, with rain, and only had minimal leakage that was manageable with zero damage to the offices and facilities within the parking structure.
5. The owner increased our project scope by over double and we were able to still finish ahead of our project schedule.
of DESIGN BUILD
Being involved in ADA design and construction has given me the opportunity to help a lot of business owners and commercial property owners prevent costly ADA compliant lawsuits.